A Day In The Life

Anecdotes from my Sunday morning and afternoon…

Shorty finally got to see my house again

Shorty and my Mom came over in the AM and checked out the new furniture and saw the big mess that’s still looming over me. They really like the couch that Sugar Daddy bought me. Shorty also raved over what a good job Grandpa did on the shelving unit. Whatever. Grandpa and I are never going to date again so there’s no need to talk him up. It does look great, I will readily admit.

Tactical error number one

I took the parents to Theo’s, a nice Greek place that’s a half block from my house. They loved the food and the prices are really reasonable. Our bill came to $22 for three big breakfasts and drinks. I think taking them there was a mistake, though.

I can just picture it now, every Sunday morning getting a call saying, “We’re thinking about going to Theo’s, do you want to join us?” or “We just got done eating breakfast at Theo’s and thought we’d drop by. Is that OK?” It’s also entirely likely they will just drop by without giving me a phone call first.

It’s a small world in the Pfister universe

I run into people I know a lot. Shorty does it even more than I. Since he started his retirement gig as a Wally World greeter, there isn’t a person in Scottsdale who doesn’t recognize him.

We were sitting at breakfast when Shorty turned around and saw a woman he knows. Actually, it was someone we all knew because my Mom, Dad and I all worked at Motorola for a while (20 years ago) and she worked there, too. I don’t think either of my parents had seen her for years, though.

New stove, whether I wanted one or not

The stove in my condo is pretty old. It’s a coil top and it’s in Harvest Gold so it’s not all that attractive. Do I care? Nope. I do so little cooking that I’m just happy it works. Shorty, however, has been adamant that it needs to replaced…ASAP! He told me he was going to buy me a new one and, despite my protestations, would not be deterred. After breakfast, we went over to Spenser Appliances and picked out a flat top stove with a self-cleaning oven. It’s nice, I admit, and I appreciate the newness. At this point, I’ve given up trying to stop him from spending money on me. I’m totally a Daddy’s girl; I just need to embrace it.

Tactical error number two

Steven’s been lording it over Shorty that he has a key to my place and Shorty doesn’t. However, since the stove is being delivered tomorrow and Shorty’s going to let them in, Steven had to cough up his key. This may not be good for me. I can trust that Steven isn’t going to drop in on me but I don’t know that I can trust Shorty in all situations. I can totally picture being out of town somewhere, relatives being at my parents wanting to see my place and Shorty taking them over. Wouldn’t matter to him if I may left the place a mess. I have a feeling that Steven’s going to get the key back, though.

Christmas tree, whether I wanted one or not

In the Pfister world, the first thing that’s asked when looking at a new place is “Where will you put your Christmas tree?” Christmas trees are big. Every year, there’s a competition to see whose tree is up first. My Aunt Phyllis has been the winner of late – I think she puts her up on November 1 or some thing crazy like that.

Both of my parents have asked me if I’m going to put up a tree this year. I’ve told both of them that I probably won’t. I’m still unpacking and just don’t want to deal with having to put it up, take it down and repack all of the ornaments. I did say I would put out some decorations.

Not good enough for Shorty. As soon as we got done with the stove, he was on to the tree. He offered to buy me a pre-lit, 6 foot tree that Wally World had at a $29 price. I said, “If it will make you happy, OK.” Of course, they were out of that tree so we ended up splitting the cost on a $79, 7 footer. Which Shorty had to help me assemble as soon as we got back to my place. It looks very nice. As soon as we were done, he said “So, when are you going to put the ornaments on?” I said, “I think it looks nice just the way it is.” The man will just not let it go. I wouldn’t be surprised if I come home tomorrow and find the tree’s been decorated.

Spending money is what we do best

Within two hours, my parents and I spent about $1,500 at three different stores. In addition to the stove and Christmas tree, we went in on a king size bed for Steven as a Christmas present. He’s currently sleeping on the air bed that my parents had bought for guests to use. This was one of those situations where I wish Steve wasn’t so freakishly tall. There’s a significant price jump between queen and king size but a 6’ 4” guy just can’t get comfortable in the smaller bed so we had to go with the higher ticket item.

Steven really wanted a flat panel TV. Nice try on that one. I don’t even have a flat panel so I wasn’t too keen on getting him one. He needed the bed more so it made the decision pretty easy and it was his second choice of a gift so he’s happy.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020