Furniture Assembly, Part Two

Grandpa came over tonight to assemble the pieces for my entertainment unit. There's a base unit with six shelves underneath, two side tower bookshelves and a two-shelf unit that rests on top of the towers so the shelves are above the base and the TV.

We got the base assembled pretty quickly. We're almost a well oiled machine on these projects which is somewhat scary but it was done and looked great. We then started working on one of the tower bookshelves. Grandpa was eyeballing it all and he asked me if I had measured it.

See, the whole thing has to fit between the fireplace and the wall. And, taking away from some of the space is the switch for my patio light on the wall. I told him I had measured it and, though it would be a tight fit, it would work.

Frack me, I was wrong...by about 1/2 inch.

Even if we took the light switch off, all of the pieces weren't going to fit. Son of a...

Of course, by the time we confirmed it (though Grandpa already knew but played along because I was convinced it would work) we had both towers assembled. The evening turned into a "where can we out this furniture so it works" experiment. We finally ended up with the two towers turned on an angle on either side of the patio door and the base between the fireplace and one of the towers. The top shelf piece will have to go back to IKEA. Good thing I kept the receipt.

It actually works out OK and I think I will like it better than my original plan.

Grandpa did a great job of putting everything together. I think I've suckered him into coming back to do some work on recessing my new stove's cord so it can go up against the wall. Currently, it sticks out far enough to prevent opening on of the drawers which is a tad inconvenient. I also think I can get him to take out my dining room ceiling fan/light and replace it with something more my style. It was his idea to get rid of it so he'll probably be flattered enough that I agreed with him to do it.

It's good to have ex-boyfriends to use for stuff like this...and it only cost me three beers tonight. What a bargain.

Well, sort of a bargain. I had to listen to him tell me how to rearrange my dining room, where I should get swags for my window and why I need a metal bakers shelf. He also dogged my cubes that I'm using as a coffee table but finally conceded they weren't bad (he would get an oval glass table with a stainless steel base). Apparently, he's been watching a lot of home decorating shows. Scary and suspect behavior.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020