Old, er, I Mean Long Time Friends

I went to dinner with the O'Malley Babes, the Chelius sisters and their Moms last night. If I'd known it was BYOM, I would have brought mine. During the afternoon, I was thinking about how long I've known these wonderful people and calculated that it's been 2/3 of my life. That sure seems like a long time and kinda made me feel old.

I offered up the fact at dinner and no one else seemed to be as impressed as I was but they did agree that we're going to start saying we met each other at age 10. Except for Cheryl, who was 8. We were all good with the 'about 30' age calculation. The Moms agreed that they'd be happy to be 50 again. Guess it's all a matter of perspective.

The reality is that I met Mary and Cindy in my Freshman year of high school. Kathy was a year behind us and Cheryl was two years. Cheryl wasn't allowed to hang out with us until she got her braces off (a Cindy edict) so I didn't know her as well back then. We were all part of a big gang though they had their own subset and I had mine. Man, the stupid things we did and the fun we had. Our guardian angels worked overtime.

There were a lot of laughs at the table last night as we recounted some of our adventures and discussed our ongoing ones. Cheryl's in a mid-life crisis: she's dyed the ends of her brown hair a bright pink (I think she looks like an anime character) and pierced her tongue (kooky and no way in hell would I ever do it). Mary would like to get her brow pierced but Mom O'Malley's threatened to pull it out if she does.

I guess no matter how old you get or feel, you're still a kid to your parents. That's a good thing.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020