Movie Review - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

I read several of C.S. Lewis’ Narnia series years and years ago until I finally got tired of getting literarily bludgeoned with the Christian symbolism. Somewhat ironically, I went to a sneak preview last night of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe as part of a church fundraiser. They’d booked the big screen at Cine Capri for the special showing, the previews looked pretty good and it was going to charity so I plunked down $25 for the show.

As we were walking out, I heard a woman say, “This is going to be a Masterpiece.” I respectfully disagree. It was no Lord of the Rings, which, as many know, is my penultimate fantasy classic.

It was, however, a good movie. There was some exceptional acting on the parts of Tilda Swinton as the White Witch and Skandar Keynes as the Judas-like Edmund. For a youngster, he did a great job of portraying the range of discontent/selfish/guilty/repentant/heroic emotions that his character goes through.

The special effects were, for the most part, OK but Aslan was great. That lion looked alive. I’m embarrassed to say, but it took me quite a while to realize he was voiced by Liam Neeson (mmmm, Liam Neeson). Rupert Everett and Ray Winstone also did some voice work as the Fox and Mr. Beaver. You gotta love a movie with walking/talking beavers playing a prominent role.

Good family flick but the violence and death would probably be too much for the littler wee folk.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020