Book Review - Julie and Julia

Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell



My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was our book club selection for the month. Our hostess this time is Maria who's without a doubt one of the best cooks I know so it's no surprise that she's read Julie and Julia and loved it. What may be surprising is that I am one of the least active cooks that I know but I also loved this book.

It's the story of Julie Powell who's working as a temp in NYC and feeling like her life is going nowhere. She decides, with her husband's support, to cook every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 1 in 365 days.

Frankly, a lot of the recipes sounded disgusting and I don't think I could eat as much butter in my lifetime as they did in one year. But, the details were fascinating.

The book is not all about cooking, though. Julie also started a blog and she talks a lot about her "bleaders" as she calls her readers. She also talks about work, her friends, her family and her relationship with her husband. Take out the husband part and I could totally relate. I just wish I could write as well as she does. (I wouldn't say no to a book deal in case any publishers are out there looking for a new author...)

View all my reviews.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020