I'm Hopeful

I just read this post by Lev Grossman about Eoin Colfer being picked to write a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book. While I can't imagine anyone being able to match Douglas Adams' wit entirely, Colfer has shown that he's pretty clever and entertaining. I highly recommend his Artemis Fowl series and I've read most (if not all) of his stand alone books, too.

There's a BBC article linked in the above link. This partial quote of Colfer's from that story makes me thinks he's got the right mindset and level of respect needed to make this book acceptable to the legions of Hitchhiker fans:

It became a whimsy of mine to finish the story, just for my own peace of mind. I often wondered how Douglas Adams would have resurrected his beloved characters. And now, almost quarter of a century after first reading Hitchhiker, I have been given the incredible opportunity of writing the next chapter in the saga myself. In an actual book rather than in my head.

My first reaction was semi-outrage that anyone should be allowed to tamper with this incredible series.

But on reflection I realised that this is a wonderful opportunity to work with characters I have loved since childhood and give them something of my own voice while holding onto the spirit of Douglas Adams and not laying a single finger on his five books.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020